Thursday, October 21

Good WLAN Tips

ProtectmyID had a good writeup on WLAN security today. I think this is one of the writeups on this topic which contains the least amount of FUD and you can't go wrong with following its advice. However, I think a couple of improvements could be made.

First off I'd say that MAC filters these days are a waste of time as a MAC address can be easily spoofed. The time required to manage a MAC filter can be better spent elsewhere. If someone can crack your encryption, a MAC filter won't stop them in the least.

Next while I agree that WLANs are commonly used in most household, I think the first security precaution for a WLAN should be if you don't use it, disable it at the router.

Lastly, I'd like to emphasize what I think are the important points:

#1 enable encryption (WPA2 or WPA)
#2 change the password at the router

If you follow these 2 points, your home WLAN is relatively safe.

in reference to: Protecting Home Wireless Networks | ProtectMyID (view on Google Sidewiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment